Okay, so I have major depressive disorder. I have really bad depression sometimes, actually, a lot of the time. Depression makes me feel numb, hopeless, bored, I feel like not taking care of myself, lethargic, angry that I cant snap out of it, sad, and other things, all at the same time. If you suffer from depression, hopefully this can help a little. I know how it is, when I am depressed, I read countless articles on how to remedy it, these are things that work a little for me. We cant make it go away, usually it just has to run its course. But, we can make it more bearable with therapy, medication, and perhaps these ideas can help you.
1.Take care of yourself. Taking care of yourself is really important. When you take care of yourself when you are depressed, it makes you feel a little better. I know its hard, sometimes it can be the hardest thing to do to get out of bed, let alone take a shower, but find that inner strength to get up out of bed and just take a shower, it will make you feel a little better at the very least.
2. Hang out with your friends and family. I know it probably feels like you don’t want to be around anyone, or go any where, or do anything. But trust me, if you just muster up the willpower to have them come over, or for you to go chill with them, you will feel so much better. You may just get lucky enough to get caught up in the moment and forget about your depression. And these moments can keep you going. You don’t have to do anything fancy or that costs money, just be with them, laugh, play games, have fun!
3. Exercise. I know that exercising is probably very low on your list right now if you are depressed, however, you should try. Dig deep down and make yourself take a walk or go do a workout at the gym or at home. For bonus points, go with a friend or family. Take a beautiful walk on a nature trail. Do sweatin to the oldies, it will be fun, or try a belly dancing video! Take a class at the gym, maybe you will make friends!
4. Volunteer. When you volunteer you can help people who may be more or just as depressed as you are. It is a wonderful feeling to help people in need. Volunteer at an animal shelter, as a big brother or sister, for Habitat for Humanity, Red Cross, etc. There are tons of places that need good people to volunteer. Volunteering has been proven to raise self esteems and relieve depression. So what are you waiting for?
5.Be creative. Fun fact, people who suffer from depression are known to be more creative than the average bear. Try poetry, pottery, painting, drawing, knitting, etc. Whenever I feel depressed I force myself to paint and it makes me feel a little better. I also like to color in coloring books for adults, go ahead and use kid coloring books too, who cares! Coloring is fun and relaxing. Try new creative things. If you have always wanted to try something creative, go ahead and try it. Take an art class with a friend. Make fairy furniture, a fairy house, a fairy land. Be creative!
6. Write in a journal. I am a big advocate of journaling. Journaling is stress relieving, relaxing, and therapeutic. When I am depressed, I write about it, and it makes me feel better. You should try it!
7. Pray. I don’t care what religion you are, that is none of my business, but pray. I am a Christian, and when I pray it makes me feel better, and I truly believe and have faith that God is helping me through my depression.
8. Meditate. I talk about this a lot, and there is a good reason why. Meditating has a lot of good benefits. Meditation can help with depression.
9. Make a list of accomplishments. It doesn’t matter how big or small, if it is something you are proud of yourself about, write it down. This will help put you in a better mood, and remind you that there is more to life than depression. Also you could write a gratitude list, list all of the things you are grateful for.
10. Dance! Turn on some positive upbeat music and dance like nobody is watching. Dance silly, make up new silly moves. This will lift your spirit and release endorphins! Bonus points if you sing!